Associate Michael Kavanagh at M&M, P.C.
Michael Kavanagh is an associate at Mainetti & Mainetti, P.C. He is a personal injury trial attorney with extensive criminal law experience. Mike graduated from Fordham University with a degree in Psychology in 1993, and then attended law school at Widener University in Harrisburg, PA where he earned his Juris Doctorate in 1998. Mike then started his legal career in the Dutchess County District Attorney’s Office, where he spent nearly eight years as a prosecutor. After being admitted to practice law in Texas, Mike then moved to Austin, TX where he went into practice with his best friend from Law School, working as a defense attorney and civil litigant. After spending two years in Austin, he decided to return to his lifelong home in Ulster County where he joined the firm Mainetti, Mainetti & O’Connor and specialized in criminal defense and personal injury cases for almost 5 years. During this time, Mike also served as legal counsel for the Ulster County Legislature, as well as a Special Prosecutor for the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office. In 2011, Mike joined the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office, where he served as a Senior Assistant District Attorney before being appointed by DA Holley Carnright to the position of Chief Assistant District Attorney in 2015. During his nine years with the DA’s Office, Mike was assigned to the most serious cases, including the prosecution of offenders charged with murder, bank robbery, gang violence, rape, and many more. Mike handled many of the highest profile trials in Ulster County, and within the legal community is considered one of the finest trial attorneys in the area.
As an associate with Mainetti & Mainetti, Mike uses his vast trial and courtroom experience to help clients who have been hurt as a result of negligence receive the maximum compensation possible for their injuries. For clients charged with crimes, Mike’s experience as a former prosecutor makes him a uniquely qualified and strong advocate with a thorough understanding of the criminal justice system.
- Ulster County Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Rated “Highly Qualified” by Ulster County Bar Association Candidate Review Committee (2019)
- Police Chiefs Association – Meritorious Service Award (2016 and 2017)
- New York State
- United States District Court – Northern District
Community Involvement (Past and Present)
- Ulster County Opioid Task Force
- County Wide Opioid Task Force
- Elder Abuse Prevention Council Executive Committee
- Ulster County Judicial Review Committee
- Goodwill Youth Mentor
- Mock Trial Advisor
- Saugerties Youth Soccer and Softball Coach